Any home can have a radon problem – old or new homes, well-sealed or drafty homes, and homes with or without basements. Prolonged exposure to unsafe levels of radon can cause an increased risk of lung cancer; in fact, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking. It is estimated that nearly 1 in 15 homes in the U.S. and Canada has an elevated level of radon.
WHAT IS RADON? Radon is naturally occurring odorless, colorless, radioactive gas formed by the ongoing decay of uranium in soil, rocks, sediments, and even well or ground water. While radon that escapes into the atmosphere is not harmful, dangerously high concentrations can build up indoors, exposing residents to possible health risks.
HOW DOES RADON GET INTO A HOME? Radon gas can migrate into the home in several ways. Openings or cracks in basement walls or floors are common avenues. Sumps, basement drains, and spaces between gas or water fittings can also allow radon into the structure.
HOW CAN I MAKE SURE MY CLIENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES AREN’T AT RISK? Radon testing can be conducted as part of the home inspection process. Your Pillar To Post Home Inspector will set up the testing equipment and report on the results. If an elevated level of radon is detected, steps can be taken to lessen the concentration inside the home. Professional mitigation services can provide recommendations for a home’s specific conditions.
For more information about home inspection and radon testing, please contact your local Pillar To Post office.