1. Get rid of pet hair. Put on a rubber glove and run your hand over the carpet – pet hairs should magically cling to the glove.
2. Vacuum this way. To get rid of deep down dirt move the vacuum in several directions.
3. Remove dents. Place an ice cube in the dent and let it melt, then blot the wet spot. Use a spoon to re-fluff the fibers.
4. Protect it from the sun. For carpet in a sunny area, close the drapes to prevent fading.
5. Put on socks. The oils on your feet stick to the carpet and attract dirt and grime that harm the fibers.
6. Fight odors. Sprinkle baking soda over your carpet and let it sit for an hour. Then vacuum away for a smell-free room.